Need some advice - buy now or buy later?

4x4 or Car General Chat

Moderators: mod, Admin

Need some advice - buy now or buy later?

Postby Thruan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi all.

Have decided that the pajero is dying a slow death, and is starting to cost me too much in upkeep. Plus it needs a few grand thrown at it before too long.

So I'm looking at upgrading to a GU patrol..
Found a few I like in the right price range. 4.2td manual wagons.

Anywyay. Trying to decide if I should get a loan now, or wait a while.

We currently have a loan that will be paid off in about a month or so. We will be dept free (first time in 12 years for the mrs so that's kinda a big thing for her)...
I will be changing jobs June next year. I don't know what the pay/conditions of the new job will be. But I WILL be changing. Company is being bought out, so I have no choice. So that's a factor.
BUT I will be getting a redundancy payout (a pretty good one) that if need be will easily pay off the remainder of the loan)

With the way we pay off loans, I can have the majority of the loan paid off before the job change..

So I don't know which way to go.
If we wait. It could be over a year before I get the chance to upgrade the car. But if I upgrade now, I'll still be payin off a loan with potentially no job.

Any advice to swing me either way?
89 Pajero - running on 31x10.5 Goodyear Duratracs. Custom front winch bar and Custom rear bar, 2inch lift by EFS, 12000lb Ironman Winch.
05 Mv Brutale - flat bars, bar end mirrors, brembo brake master more mods lined up.
Thruan
Car Manufacturer
Car Manufacturer

Re: Need some advice - buy now or buy later?

Postby tattoo001 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 pm

get a gq :)
tattoo001
God
God

Postby Thruan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Haha. I've thought long and hard about gu vs GQ.

It's going to be the primary car for the foreseeable future (I.e I won't be buying another car for a LONG time)

So I want the more modern/comfy/'pretty' (gq's still look a lot tougher though) that the gu has/is. :)
89 Pajero - running on 31x10.5 Goodyear Duratracs. Custom front winch bar and Custom rear bar, 2inch lift by EFS, 12000lb Ironman Winch.
05 Mv Brutale - flat bars, bar end mirrors, brembo brake master more mods lined up.
Thruan
Car Manufacturer
Car Manufacturer

Postby Towie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:04 am

As with all things a calculated risk is better than a gamble. If you can pay it off all good but add in your insurances, stamps, rego, possible repairs if you get a dog etc etc.
As a daily car you would be better off with a small car depending how many km's it has to do.

No rush to buy one either i guess so wait for the perfect truck to come along at the right price

I have always been of the opinion if you cant pay cash then you cant afford it ---- however its not that simple to come up with 40k or more for new cars and if it doesnt turn out well then you can always sell it or get an extra job..

Setup the loan longer term but make double payments if possible dont set it up to make high payments incase it doesnt work out.
NEVER LET ME MOVE SOUTH EVER AGAIN!.....PLEASE.

4.2TDI Ute & 6.5 Chevy Wagon ready to go at anytime...
Towie
Car Manufacturer
Car Manufacturer

Postby joebog » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:53 pm

no carbon tax anymore just a complete idiot in Alfred E. Neuman
be prepared to pay $1500 for rego!!!
AND if labor gets back in be prepared to pay $1500
for carbon output from 4.2 litres

just my 4.2 cents worth

Joe
Mods: NOT chipped :), Dobinsons 50mm lift kit, 7" lightforce spotties, Parkside bullbar,
Bashplate, Goodyear Wrangler 255X75X16, Hema HN5i, cupboards, drawers, UHF,
snorkle, 12,000lb winch,
joebog
Gods Apprentice
Gods Apprentice

Postby Thruan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi guys. Haven't been on since I last posted :)

We will have a small car. The mrs Sierra. But we need at least 2 cars. And at least 1 has to be able to take us, 2 dogs and luggage and shit on trips to visit the family's.. Little zook just can't do that. So I need to have the bigger car.
Size doesn't worry me much, the pajero is my daily car. I know it's smaller then the patrol, but it's not exactly an excel. It's better on fuel the the pajero anyway.
Pajero is a 6cyl. Patrol will be a 4cyl. (Yes I'm getting the 3ltr, yes is know about them. I have don't nothing but read about them for weeks now...) so rego will be cheaper.
Insurance is going to go up obviously. But I sold my bike and with it it's $1300per year insurance cost, so ill still be ahead.

Paying outright.... Could do it.. But it would take about 10months to he the money together when I can just pay off the loan in 12...
Pajero just blew its power steering box. So that's more money down the drain. I have spent roughly 6grand jus to keep it on the road in 2 years!! That's 1/3 of the cos of the patrol!

I know I could have issues with repairs and such with the patrol. But a 10year younger car with 1/2 the Kms has to be more reliable.

Anyway. I have been approved for the loan. Just looking at cars now. Found a nice one in bris that I'm looking at..

190km
Arb Roof rack, dual batt, outback draws, electronic rust protection, winch bar, tjm winch, UHF, cruise, 2 spare tires, spotties, tjm lift.
She's got 20g on it. She's not getting it :p
Thruan
Car Manufacturer
Car Manufacturer

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:45 pm

A bloke at work is selling his 3 ltr. All decked out is on gumtree I can find a link if ur interested
If it isn't broken... I wasnt there..
Jack

Postby Thruan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Thaks jack.

Is It an auto?

One in bris may be a bust. Paid $220 to get it inspected. And it's sounds like it's spent a buttload of time on the beach... Find out more tomorrow..
Thruan
Car Manufacturer
Car Manufacturer

Postby johndeo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:29 am

If you going to get a 3ltr get the CRD I went this way it already a had a 3" exhaust on it I love the little bugger. If you have to go the DI get one after 2003 pre 2003 were the really bad ones plus they change shape in 2004 which looks way better anyway. Just my2 cents
johndeo
Gods Apprentice
Gods Apprentice

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Ill find the link.. It's got twin wheel carrier and heps of accessories . Think it's manual . He just bought a 200 series
Jack

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:14 pm

1028683101 this the gumtree number. Not sure how neg on price he is ..

Not sure if dropping my name will help either... Ha.. Knowing my luck the price might go up ..

His name is mark give him a bell if ur keen

Jack
Jack

Postby Thruan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks jack. Looks like a great car. But it's a manual.

I'm 6ft4 unfortunantly I don't fit in the manuals well enough to comfortable drive them full time.
Thruan
Car Manufacturer
Car Manufacturer

Return to General Car Chat